7.14.2010

swimming lessons

boden started his first real swimming lessons this week. he was a
little aprehensive, but we got there a bit early and watched the kids
from the group before him. he was getting atsy! he wanted so bad to
go in! in one of the pictures, you can see that he is trying to stick
his toe in and they had to keep making sure he didn't go in to soon.
enter now sweet little innocent looking girl on the left on him. they
started to take her in first. she begins to scream and cry and try to
get away. boden watches horrified and panic starts to fill his face.
boden's turn. he begins to cry and fight his way to freedom. after a
little 'pep talk' on the side of the pool, I turn, take heidi in her
stroller and leave. he stayed in the whole time, making it known that
he didn't like it, and wasn't coming backnext time. of course, we came
back next time. we had talked it thru, prayed about, etc. thought he
was going to be fine. we sit one minute. they say it's time to get in.
panic resumes. bloodcurdling, someone is chasing me with a knife
screams. he clings to me saying: "mommy I love you! please don't
leave me!". seriously? try to reason to him. getting frustrated.
about to throw in the towel. one of the lifegaurds comes over and says
to give him to her and to leave. she peels boden off me and I leave.
when I came back at the end, his teacher was pulling him off the side
to help him jump in and go underwater. seems to be doing fine. cries
most of the way out to the car and home. we'll see what next time
brings.....

1 comment:

Mrs. Judy said...

Lea Anne, I am SO glad you are doing this. What a crazy mix of reactions. Hang in there, girl. It's always a good thing, but here, in MI, to not know how to swim ASAP is irresponsible!